Bloopers and Beige

Get Out Of Anything (Because Pets) Excuse List

Why Rabbits and Easter Don’t Mix

Get Out Of Anything (Because Pets) Excuse List

Ruby and I are both on the shy side and a wee-bit socially awkward. I am an introvert and I like to think Ruby is, too. This isn’t breaking news. Long time readers already know about our struggle to be more social. I am a nice person and generally friendly, but I don’t think anyone would ever describe me as chatty. Ruby is a sweet dog; she’s just kind of anxious. It’s like she doesn’t know how to be a normal dog (in the same way I don’t always know how to carry on normal conversation). We are lucky to have each other to lean on (aka hide behind).

Maybe we could both be more social. Maybe I should try harder to socialize Ruby around other dogs. But truthfully, it seems unfair to ask her to do something I don’t really want to do either. And bonus points: having a dog that is socially awkward, gives you a built-in excuse to wave and keep walking without the judgment or guilt from extraverted friends and neighbors. “Sorry, my dog is having a bad day. Can we chat another time? Maybe next year?”

Get Out Of Anything Because Pets Excuse List for socially awkward introverts

It’s Not You, It’s My Dog (and Maybe Me)

Fortunately, pets and kids are the ultimate get-out-of-jail-free card. And by jail, I mean awkward social stuff. Only kids eventually reach an age when they want to be more independent and spend less time with their socially awkward, introverted parents. But pets, especially complicated-in-a-good-way dogs like Ruby, never get tired of us – the more time we spend at home the better! Not to mention the cats and mice who are also kind of homebodies but for different reasons. It’s a win-win situation for everyone.

Disclaimer: If you don’t quite get the whole socially awkward or introvert thing, no hard feelings. Feel free to just enjoy some pink sweater Ruby cuteness.

Introvert's Excuse list for getting out of almost anything because pets

14 Excuses To Get Out Of Almost Anything (Because Pets)

1. I will go if I can bring my dog and don’t have to talk. But if I have to talk, my dog and I are a no-go.

2. I have a work thing. And by work thing, I mean my dog and I are busy watching reruns of The Office.

3. I need to wash my hair, clean the house, water the plants, organize my closet, eat some chips, feed the cats, watch the mice run around on their wheel, get mad watching cable news, prepare for the apocalypse, eat more chips.

4. My rabbit won’t stop thumping. She has anger issues. I need to go buy her some cilantro before she completely loses her mind.

5. It started raining and I didn’t have an umbrella. So I gave up and went home to my dog who coincidentally doesn’t like rain either.

Get out of anything excuse list for socially awkward peeps and pups

6. My cats are going through a really bad break up. Fluffy is super depressed and I need to make sure she doesn’t leap from the top of the refrigerator. Contrary to popular belief cats don’t always land on their feet.

7. My blood sugar is low and I feel faint. I need to stay home and eat lots of chips. And you know who also likes chips? That’s right, my dog!

8. My dog ate my glasses or maybe I stepped on them or maybe they slipped down the garbage disposal with some strawberry rinds. Something bad happened to them – I’m not exactly sure what because I wasn’t wearing my glasses.

9. I missed my train; the bus never came; I couldn’t get a cab; the tires on my bike are flat; it’s too far to walk; my dog looked sad. I tried.

10. My cat is sleeping peacefully in my lap and I don’t want to disturb her (see #6 above).

I'll go if i can bring my dog, but if I can't bring my dog I'm a no go

11. My dog refuses to get off the couch. We are planning an intervention about how her behavior (and refusal to share) is impacting others.

12. The mice are going through a rebellious phase and seem bent on escape. They know about the cats and don’t seem to care. I think they might be depressed or maybe nuts.

13. I need to go home and eat all the halloween candy, Christmas cookies, Easter eggs, insert other holiday treat here. Because this stuff is really bad for dogs and cats and I like to keep my pets safe.

14. It’s not you it’s me – and maybe you because you keep inviting me to scary social things where I can’t bring my dog.

The Socially Awkward introvert's guide to getting out of things that make your uncomfortable and blame your pets

Dogs (and cats and even mice) don’t care if you leave your house, answer your phone, make a fool of yourself, fall down and go boom. They love and accept you, social anxiety and all. As long as you have each other and a socially awkward friend or two, you are good to go – or stay home, depending on your personal preference.

Have you ever used your pets as an excuse to get out of social situations? Feel free to share your best pet-related excuses in the comments.

Stay up-to-date on our journey to be normal (as well as a whole bunch of cuteness and feel-good, inspiring rescue and adoption stories) by subscribing to our email list If you want a daily dose of Ruby cuteness, please follow us on Instagram or Facebook.

The Socially Awkward Introvert's Guide and excuse list to Getting Out of Social Things That Make You Uncomfortable because pets and dogs

1. May 1, 2019 / 8:28 am

I agree with you… 1o0% ..happy first may day to you!!!!

2. May 1, 2019 / 9:37 am

That was a darn good getoutta list and you do look adorable sweet Ruby!

3. Carole Schulman
    May 1, 2019 / 10:17 am

Ruby! What a gorgeous diva looking girl you are in your beautiful pink sweater! I am so flirtatious that I cannot leave anyone alone who comes to the house. Mom says I show a leaning towards men when they are here…she thinks it’s because of my three human brothers.
    Katie Isabella
    pee ess: WP blogs won’t let mommy use her Blogspot addresses..she can only comment using her ancient storage WP blog.

4. May 1, 2019 / 11:11 am

I’ll have to remember these. I’ve used some of them already.

Have a fabulous day. Scritches to Ruby. ♥

5. Sandra Hangey
    May 1, 2019 / 11:45 am

dogs are also good for meeting persons if a person is extroverted like I am… when walking along without a dog, I always stop and talk to any or all dogs and their people. that said, not talking would be the same thing just opposite. I have been called Chatty Cathy many times in my life. we are what we are. I tried to stop talking to strangers and it just doesn’t happen. the thing is I rather be home than out anywhere, I am introverted that I love staying home and not going out and I hate parties or gatherings unless it is close family. I don’t like to have visitors to my home because how do you get them to leave. I am part intro and part extro.. I rather read with my dog than be out with people…

6. May 1, 2019 / 1:50 pm

Those re-runs of the office aren’t going to watch themselves. I love this list.

I would add diarrhea in someplace, that stops people cold.

• SweetDogChicago
      Author
      May 1, 2019 / 1:54 pm

LOL! Adding that to my list now!

7. May 1, 2019 / 2:32 pm

That is such a great list. Animals are the best in all ways. I agree with your whole list. You have a great Wednesday.

8. May 1, 2019 / 2:51 pm

You and Ruby are two peas in a pod…and that is okey dokey fine. The world needs chatty folks and listeners too. I love your post Hugs all around
    Cecilia

9. Bella, Roxy and Dui
    May 1, 2019 / 3:50 pm

A real friend knows and accepts that you are socially awkward. Good you’ve found some ways to get out of things you don’t enjoy.

10. May 1, 2019 / 4:30 pm

Yep, i’ve got to go herd the cats, and that takes a while, i’ll be back later, maybe…

11. May 1, 2019 / 5:05 pm

I may have used more than a few of these excuses 🙂
    xoxo,
    Rosy, Jakey & Arty

12. May 1, 2019 / 7:05 pm

This post was so much fun to read. Great excuses, and great explanations. You could have the opposite problem and be TOO sociable – that might actually have worse implications. We know from your writing and especially from your love of animals that you are a very delightful person who knows herself well and also someone we would love to meet some day:)

Woos – Lightning, Misty, and Timber

13. May 1, 2019 / 7:20 pm

hari OM
    You had me LOL at no.4; but as one who really does not enjoy anything beyond a gathering of four or five folks, I totally get this!!! Love all the Ruby shots. Huggies, both. YAM xx

14. 15andmeowing
    May 1, 2019 / 8:51 pm

As an introvert and pretty much a hermit, I love this list 🙂

15. May 1, 2019 / 9:03 pm

These are some great excuses…I may use some of these except change dog to cat where needed. ~Island Cat Mom

May 1, 2019 / 9:17 pm

Those are all very valid excuses!
    hugs
    Mabel

17. May 1, 2019 / 10:13 pm

I totally get this!! And I really love the fun list and will admit to having used my dogs to get out of more things than I’ll ever admit to, or can count. It helps to have multiple dogs, and ones that don’t feel well, and I usually say they need to bed fed and given medication because my husband doesn’t know who gets what….Which is true!

But I am also an introvert by nature – I didn’t think of myself as one until about 10 years ago, when another introvert pointed it out. I wish there had been a label put to it growing up. It would have saved my parents from having to deal with me, and myself all the emotions when i’d come home from something at school, church, etc., and just fall apart because being with people would just take me to the edge. And even now, because I work in the dental field, and am with people/patients all day, and I really enjoy my friends, but I really, really need my “me time” because it’s way too peopley for me on many days.

May 1, 2019 / 10:55 pm

This is such a great list. We’ll have to keep these in mind! 🙂

19. May 2, 2019 / 6:29 am

My mom isn’t social at all, but we dogs are very social, but Mom feels comfortable with other dog people. Lucky for us, most weekends we have dog sports and that means we are either out of town, or too busy to attend any human events. It’s a real excuse.

20. May 2, 2019 / 8:32 am

Love your list! Mom and I walk early in the morning so we can commune with nature and not other peeps – although, I do have to say that I am more friendly and outgoing than my mom is!

21. May 2, 2019 / 9:04 am

Ruby is adorable in her pink sweater. I know exactly of using your dog as an excuse to not be social. I’ve done it for years. Sam is outgoing (me, not so much); luckily he pulls more than his fair share when we do our pet therapy gigs. I just drive him there. 💖

22. May 2, 2019 / 9:33 am

I love these! I think I’ve used a variation of several of these excuses before. The dogs I have now aren’t super social, and I’m sure that a lot of that is on me.

23. May 2, 2019 / 12:19 pm

OMD…You just described things at my house. Well, except for the work thing. Mom really does work 6 days a week. And she really does pass out when she gets home. BOL
    Wishing you a very Happy Belated Easter too. 🙂

24. May 2, 2019 / 12:35 pm

We think your list is just perfect and Ruby is so cute in her pink sweater.

25. Linda McGuire
    May 2, 2019 / 4:35 pm

Ha ha haaa! You are too funny! Love your writing.😍

26. May 2, 2019 / 6:30 pm

“But truthfully, it seems unfair to ask her to do something I don’t really want to do either.” That is exactly how I feel about trying to make Luke get used to strangers. I love this post so much! We are all happier at home, and even though others think we’re odd, I’m OK with it….we’re happy with it. In a social world, it’s difficult to feel we’re so different….but as I get older, the less I want to try to change. We are who we are.
    Best thing we ever did? Get our farm birds. “I’m sorry, we can’t come to your party, because the birds are free-ranging and we cannot leave them alone, because they might get eaten by wildlife.” Who can argue with that? 🙂

27. May 3, 2019 / 2:57 am

Okay, I admit I’ve used my cats as an excuse – but not to get out of social situations. You are more highly sophisticated as a socially awkward introvert … but this gives me … ideas.

28. Lee
    May 3, 2019 / 8:24 am

Normal ~ conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected. Why does one want to be normal? Being who you are is special. I use my yard work as my excuse but then it is the truth I have to mow the grass it never stops growing.
    Your Friend
    Sweet William The Scot

29. May 3, 2019 / 11:04 pm

Hmmm, using pets as an excuse…
    That NEVER happens here (right, and if you believe that, I have some beach front property)
    Purrs Marv and Mom

May 4, 2019 / 2:22 pm

We love your list, and some of those excuses have been used here too ! Purrs

31. May 6, 2019 / 1:29 pm

Socially awkward you may be, but you have a wonderful sense of humor. And look what a great blog you have created. Much easier if you don’t leave your house. But best of all, you still manage to do a lot of good for our pets. I admire you for that.

32. May 10, 2019 / 10:55 am

As always your creative writing had me LOL-ing! I’m not at all socially awkward. In fact I’m a Chatty Cathy which is probably why we get along so well!! I always love Ruby in pink. Great post.
    Love & biscuits,