Inside Out

How NOT To Lose A Good Pet Sitter

What the Fluff?

On Being More Water-Like In 2019

On January 1, 2018 I wrote a post about being more like tree-like in 2018. My father had just entered hospice and my tree post was really a pep talk to stay strong, dig roots, and hold on. 2017 had been all about endings and I anticipated (rightly so) that 2018 was going to be more of the same.

Trees are resilient, defiant, and steadfast. Becoming more tree-like seemed like a good way (maybe the only way) to prepare for impact and ride out the storm of grief and loss.

And it worked. I am still standing minus a couple of broken branches.

On being more water-like in 2019

My father passed away on February 8, 2018. After years of struggling with several debilitating health issues, his passing was thankfully peaceful. The lovely hospice workers even permitted one final visit with his beloved cat Zoe.

My father loved wolves, cats, wildflowers, books, the New York Rangers, New England, the Atlantic Ocean, and trees. He always rooted for the underdog, was a champion of lost causes, a brilliant storyteller, and funny as hell. He taught me to be kind, generous, resilient, compassionate, strong, humble, grateful, and to always find something to laugh about even on really sad, shitty days.

A few months after he passed away, our rabbit Lulu died. She had a large mass on her chest, which grew rapidly (while I was distracted with grief). Surgery was risky, but Lulu was a tough bunny and I knew she would want to go out fighting. Sadly, she died during surgery, but I am still glad we tried.

2019 resolution be more water-like

This year my goal is to be more water-like – fierce, gentle and resilient. Water is life and renewal, infinite and sustaining. Endings are also beginnings, but sometimes it is tough to see the beginning when you are in the middle of the ending. Everything is cyclical and comes full circle eventually.

If trees are about strength and weathering any storm, water is about renewal and picking up the pieces after the storm. Water is trust, healing, and letting go; it gives and takes and gives again. Just as badass as trees but in a more sustaining, fluid, just-keep-going kind of way.

Water is elusive – it flows where it wants to flow and fills in the empty spaces as it goes.

be more water-like in 2019 and beyond

Ruby and I wish you the courage and strength to weather the storm and celebrate the sun. Happy 2019!

My new year's resolution is to be more water-like in 2019

1. January 4, 2019 / 11:35 am

What a lovely tribute to your wonderful father. I’m sorry about your bunny.

Ruby is most adorable.

Have a fabulous day and weekend. Scritches to Ruby. ♥

2. Sandra Hangey
    January 4, 2019 / 12:15 pm

it sounds like your life as a tree has left you standing well and I like the idea of the water thing also. your dad sounds wonderful and you were blessed to have a father like him. Hi Ruby, you are looking so pretty

January 4, 2019 / 12:44 pm

I’m so sorry about your father, he sounds like he was an incredible soul and you were fortunate enough to learn many valuable lessons from him. I’m also sorry about your bunny but I agree with you, at least you tried and you can never feel you should have done more. I love, love, love the tree and water analogies and I am definitely going to print this out and keep it to refer back to when I’m feeling like I need some inspiration.

4. January 4, 2019 / 2:30 pm

Water cleanses, and it erodes. Water swirls and freezes; it reflects and cascades. My condolences on the loss of your father and rabbit.

5. January 4, 2019 / 2:42 pm

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6. January 4, 2019 / 3:00 pm

Hari OM
    Yay for water, without which even trees cannot stand… love and blessings for 2019!!! YAM xx

7. Tonya Wilhelm
    January 4, 2019 / 3:43 pm

I’m so sorry about your father passing last year. It can’t be easy. I hope you have a blessed 2019. <3

8. January 4, 2019 / 4:06 pm

We like the tree thing too. Perhaps the Dad here is like a pecan tree…a wee bit nuts. Happy New Year sweet friends!

9. 15andmeowing
    January 4, 2019 / 8:32 pm

I am so sorry about your Dad and bunny. I hope this year will be filled with happiness. XO

10. January 4, 2019 / 9:17 pm

So sorry about your father and sweet Lulu. Your father would be very pleased with your words. We wish you a very good 2019 in all ways.

Woos – Lightning, Misty, and Timber

11. January 4, 2019 / 10:39 pm

Happy 2019 and to go with the flow like water is the way I live and it can be challenging sometimes it is for me the way to do it as life is too short.

I am so sorry to hear about your father and Lulu

12. Marjorie Dawson
    January 5, 2019 / 2:10 am

You Dad must’ve been amazing to know! I’m sorry he’s gone you must miss him. What a story.

Water is also persistent, and powerful. It keeps on moving and wearing down resistance. Water is determined and keeps flowing and even if it meets an obstruction, it finds a way around it. Water will not be stopped.

13. January 5, 2019 / 4:42 am

I’m so sorry about your dad and Lulu bunny. I like your idea to be more water-like. Happy 2019!

14. January 5, 2019 / 6:38 am

So sorry for the loss of your father. He will be with you forever, and you will always have him in your heart and thoughts. Happy New Year!

15. January 5, 2019 / 7:37 am

Kristin,
    I am so very sorry for the lost of your Daddy who was a wise and lovingly gave you your love of all creatures great and small. In the same breath I am thankful he passed in peace.
    Lulu was surely met at the Rainbow Bridge by her beloved Pip.
    What a beautifully written and power message for a new and better 2019.
    Hugs Cecilia

16. January 5, 2019 / 8:04 am

I love your yearly themes and I like that they can apply to all aspects of one’s life, so sorry for the loss of your father who sounds like he was amazing to be around with and learn from.

May you have a wonderful 2019 and hope that the tide trickles energy, rejuvenation and light into the streams of your pathways. After all, water is the giver of life! xx

17. January 5, 2019 / 11:45 am

Well, that made me cry! As usual! I also need to learn to be more water like. I need to learn to go with the ebbs and flows, and learn to handle the currents as they change. I didn’t do well with that in 2018, and an example is that I wasn’t able to make it downtown to meet you when you were here. 2019 will be better for sure! Big hugs, friend.

18. January 5, 2019 / 5:19 pm

This is so beautiful! Your father taught you a lot of things quite well, obviously. ♥ I need to find my way and a metaphor to help me through recent tough times. I’m usually quite resilient, more water-like myself, but for some reason I’m having a tougher time coming to terms and figuring out a lot of stuff right now.

19. January 5, 2019 / 7:53 pm

I love the idea of being more water like. You had a very tough 2018, and I hope that you can start to put the pieces back together again in 2019.

Every time I visit, I am stunned by Ruby’s transformation.

20. January 6, 2019 / 3:47 am

What a lovely tribute to your dad. He sounds like he gave you solid roots to ride out the big waves. I’m sorry for your loss. And kudos for allowing Zoe’s visit, important for them both I am sure. It is always to the water I have run in the challenging times. It was a pond in the woods or a lake growing up. I couldn’t do better than a fountain living in the city for awhile. Now I have a river. The ocean isn’t far either if I really need the tumult. Enjoy your year of water, I hope it brings you wonderful things.

January 6, 2019 / 10:38 am

Happy New Year, sweet friends. We love your post … here’s to being more water-like this year!

22. January 6, 2019 / 2:21 pm

I’m so sorry for the loss of your dad and Lulu. I hope 2019 brings you many wonderful and happy moments!

23. January 7, 2019 / 12:08 pm

So sorry to hear about your father and bunny Lulu. Both losses are so sad.

Here’s to the flow of 2019, we wish you the best!

24. January 7, 2019 / 1:28 pm

What a beautiful tribute to your dad. And I am so sorry for your losses, your dad, your Lulu. I love the idea of being like a tree, like water. I’m going to borrow this idea. Xo Love, Tootsie & Renee

25. FiveSibesMom
    January 7, 2019 / 10:03 pm

That was truly beautiful. I sit here relating so much to what you are saying, especially the seeing the new beginning when in the midst of an ending (or two, as in both of our cases. I lost my dear Mom and then one month later, my beloved Gibson). And while it has now been three years for both, I am still dealing with the new “normal,” which does not feel very normal at all. I like your concept of trying to be more water like…I am going to move forward with that as my guide. I am truly sorry for the loss of your father, and bunny. My Gibson suddenly became ill while I was grieving my mother’s loss, so my heart reaches out to yours. Here is to wishing you and yours a Happy, healthy, and water-like 2019!

26. January 9, 2019 / 3:15 pm

Powerful words and lovely message. Your writing always finds a way to hit home. Wishing you a better 2019…..deb and pugs

27. January 10, 2019 / 8:11 pm

I absolutely loved this post. I’m so sorry for your losses. I hope this year is wonderful for you.

January 11, 2019 / 7:58 pm

To say it simply – I loved this post! You have an amazing perspective on life. I always try to be positive, but sometimes, life gets in the way!

29. January 12, 2019 / 10:33 am

What a wonderful post and message. Here’s to a great 2019!

30. January 18, 2019 / 11:20 pm

Losing a parent changes a person in ways that one never never expects. Ditto for losing a fur baby. You are the picture of grace under pressure and throughout pain. You don’t see it – and I know the dark clouds that must swirl around you – but you inspire the rest of us with your perseverance, compassion, talent, and love.