Cat and Dog See Snow

Cat Introductions and Post Adoption Drama

You have probably been wondering how our new cat Teddy is getting along with Rosie. We are slowly moving in the right direction, two steps forward, one step back. Introducing a new cat is complicated!

The good news is that Ruby and Teddy are best buds and have kind of an adorable cat dog romance going on (check out their Instagram stories). They share sweaters, food, more food, and maybe soon, a two-for-one membership to Weight Watchers.

The not so good news is that Rosie is still being kind of a stinker. If she wore panties, they would be in a bunch. Meeting new cats, sharing, and change are hard for our much-loved diva cat.

Of course, there are always adjustments in blended families, especially when introducing a new cat. But bottom line, we are not quitters. Plus, we are all bonkers in love with Teddy and some day (just you wait) Rosie will be, too.

Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase through Amazon, we will receive a small commission and be incredibly grateful.

Tips for introducing a new cat to other pets without drama

How To Introduce A New Cat Without Stress Eating All The Halloween Candy

Drugs, and by drugs, I mean flower essences. We have been using Green Hope Farm Animal Flower Essences and they kind of work like magic. Two drops in the communal water bowl and a drop behind Rosie’s ears = instant chill out. I have never been a huge believer in flower essences, but I am now. The outburst and jealousy blends have really helped diffuse the cat drama. Plus, the folks at Green Hope Farm are very nice and even sent me a nice handwritten note with my order.

Communal Meals. Food is not love or therapy only it kind of is with cats. We started by feeding Teddy and Rosie in separate rooms; then separate rooms with the door open (with a baby gate), and now in the same room in opposite corners. If there’s any cat drama, we take a step back. Teddy has learned to be brave and eat near Rosie and Rosie has learned that there’s enough food for everyone and she doesn’t need to growl while eating because sometimes that causes stomach upset. Ruby has learned that the more the cats get along, the less chance she has to swoop in and eat ALL their food.

Flower Essences help keep the peace when introducing new cats

Cat Juggling. We started Teddy upstairs in our bedroom and my office. Rosie had the run of the rest of the house as usual. They obviously could smell each other but couldn’t see each other. We then started switching things around and giving Teddy time to explore the house while Rosie spent time in the bedroom.

We are currently doing a combination of together and alone time, which is where cat juggling comes in. Cat juggling is kind of like being in middle school only without the homework. They have a room change schedule, which allows them to get used to each other’s smells and have equal time everywhere. I also work from home and am able to devote all my time (when I should be working) to making sure they are both comfy cozy and not stressed out.

Tips for introducing new cats. Rosie wears a harness and leash for an initial introductions

Although we have made progress and sometimes sit together on the couch like a real family, we still don’t totally trust Rosie alone with Teddy. The introduction process has been a little more complicated because Rosie is deaf and it’s easy for Teddy to startle her – which makes her really mad. During together time Rosie wears a Kitty Holster Harness, this allows us to monitor the situation and also seems to help keep her calm. I think she associates the harness with Teddy and knows to watch out for him when she’s wearing it.

True confession, I sometimes find myself eating Halloween candy in the middle of the night, explaining to them that we all need to get along. But then I remember (because it’s 2:00 am) that Rosie is deaf and can’t hear my words of wisdom , which leads me to eat more candy. It all feels very reminiscent of colicky nights with my daughter. Only she was born in February so no Halloween candy.

Tips and tricks for introducing new cats safely

We are hoping to have everything resolved and be one big happy family by Christmas. Paws crossed. Want more cat introduction tips? Check out this video with Jackson Galaxy for even more information on introducing cats peacefully, safely and drama free.

Stay up-to-date on our journey to be one big happy family by Christmas (as well as a whole bunch of cuteness) by subscribing to our email list.

1. November 16, 2018 / 11:41 am

that was super interesting to read and I nodded a lot while I thought of our challenge to bring two dogs together ,O)

2. November 16, 2018 / 11:53 am

Great advice and some really good looking kitties. Okay that sleeping dog is cute too.

Have a purrfect Feline Friday. My best to your peeps. ♥

3. November 16, 2018 / 12:47 pm

Hari Om
    Flower essences are astoundingly good – have used and practiced with them for years. You are showing Love and perseverance. The candy is the fuel for these things… but maybe a triple membership to WW after all??? ^&> YAM xx

4. November 16, 2018 / 2:08 pm

What great advice and I need to check out the flower essences for Grumpy Arty

Now, I’m off to talk my husband into getting a couple of cats…. 😉

5. November 16, 2018 / 2:22 pm

What a sweet pic of Teddy and Ruby!!! Maybe it is something from Rosie’s previous life that interferes with her being able to like Teddy. We know if anyone will figure it out and make it work, it will be you.

Happy Early Thanksgiving.

Woos – Lightning, Misty, and Timber

6. November 16, 2018 / 3:42 pm

This is some great advice about how to create a blended family. I am loving your instagram feed too.

7. November 16, 2018 / 4:15 pm

We’re behind in news so were shocked when we stopped by today. We thought Cathy Keisha was visiting you. Yep, Teddy, really made us do a double take. In case you don’t know CK – stunningkeisha.com/

Glad things are progressing with Rosie. Perhaps all will be friends soon. 🙂

8. November 16, 2018 / 4:42 pm

Aww, so cute. I have one cat now, Scout, who is 13. Our other senior cat died in May and they were good friends. Scout loved our other cat but seems to hate any other cat he meets (we fostered cats and pet sit my parent’s cat). I would love to get another cat but I’m scared scout would be stressed and would never accept a new buddy.

Do you generally think a young kitten would be easier for a senior to accept, or another senior? Or none? Haha.

Oh, cats …. So much drama. Haha.

9. November 16, 2018 / 4:49 pm

We go through similar tactics when bringing home a new foster dog. Our rescue highly suggests keeping fosters and resident dogs separate for the first 24-48 hours. It’s important to take things slow and be patient.

10. November 16, 2018 / 5:20 pm

Oh Rosie, you gotta keep your eye on that newcomer! Sounds like your mama is doing all the right things. Seems like Ruby approves of Teddy. Perhaps one day you will, too.

• ChristaV
      November 17, 2018 / 8:38 am

Our (dog) rescue actually mandates a 2-week shutdown. Whichever you prefer, I am a firm believer in the efficacy of slow intros! So much better to keep matters from going over threshold, so much easier to progress in small steps rather than remediate after a major problem. Certainly sounds as if Kristin and the blended family are doing well, having fun, and taking awesome pictures.

11. Maggie
    November 16, 2018 / 6:12 pm

I wish I had known about those flower essences when we brought Ripley home!! We followed a pretty similar protocol to what you’re describing when we introduced Ripley to Newt, and it took a long time. It was worth the glacial pace, though, because now they’re like sisters… snuggling one minuter, bickering the next… but we trust them together completely. Coop was like Ruby, instantly taken with Ripley. It’s so funny, isn’t it? And totally adorable!!

12. November 16, 2018 / 6:13 pm

Hey, your two thirds there so that’s a good thing, you can do it. Teddy, don’t startle the Diva pal.

13. November 16, 2018 / 6:38 pm

It is worth taking the time to do this correctly, and i do hope Rosie chills out and Teddy figures out that she’s deaf. Cats are smart, he can come to understand and behave accordingly, i’ve seen it happen.

14. November 16, 2018 / 6:40 pm

It is certainly worth taking the time to do this correctly, i hope Rosie comes around and accepts Teddy and that Teddy figures out she is deaf. Cats are smart and can learn these things and learn to behave accordingly, i’ve seen it happen.

15. November 16, 2018 / 8:18 pm

Cats are funny. Some get along fine together from day one. Some take time…like Rosie and Teddy. Some never get along. But if you take it slow and steady, most of the time it works out.

16. November 16, 2018 / 8:21 pm

Good advices. The peeps wouldn’t dare innerduce a new cat here much as they’d want to. In fact they tried once and it was a big failure. Recently TW began seeing a friendly cat in the street who she’s love to bring home but knows it would be high drama that we don’t have room for. Oh, TW says you should try CBD oil. She wants to put me on it so I chill out.

17. November 16, 2018 / 10:36 pm

Oh boy! Ma is all in on the Halloweenie candy! (I thinks she’s got a sugar addiction, and will have to go to rehab….) This all makes me happy I am an only doggie. I rule over everythings, and nobody tells me what to do! (don’t tells Ma that, k?)
    I second the CBD oil, it sure is worth a try!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

18. November 16, 2018 / 11:56 pm

Gosh, it does all sound very complicated. But I do believe you will get there, and when you do, things will be magical. I bet it’s just a question of Teddy understanding Rosie is deaf. Heres to a happy family Christmas.
    Purrs
    ERin

19. November 17, 2018 / 12:30 am

Yep. Bear’s our diva. And things were a little messy for a year or so. Now, they get along great … until they don’t.

20. November 17, 2018 / 1:22 am

Green Hope Farms is great stuff. Rescue Remedy helps too. Blending cats isn’t always easy. Sometimes they just settle – my Katie Baby walked in and looked around at all the boys and said well here’s how it’s going to be and they all said yes ma’am. I never had to segregate her or anything. But others never did get along better than to walk past each other without hissing every single time. I guess like people not every two cats are meant to be friends.

21. November 17, 2018 / 6:47 am

Kristin what an excellent post with so much valuable info on household harmony.
    Might I also add you are an animal whisperer too
    Hugs all around cecilia

22. Sandra Hangey
    November 17, 2018 / 9:22 am

sounds like you have it all under control except of course the midnight eating of Halloween candy.

23. November 17, 2018 / 10:55 am

Thanks for visiting us. Mom recognized Jackson’s introduction method the moment she started reading. Sounds as if you are doing everything correctly. And we hope Christmas is the turning point to achieve your peaceable kingsom. Good luck! XOCK, angel Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, angel Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth, Calista Jo, Cooper Murphy and Sawyer

November 17, 2018 / 4:31 pm

Sounds like progress is being made and we have our paws crossed that soon all Rosie will accept Teddy as one of the family
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

25. November 18, 2018 / 3:39 am

Great post and great information ! Baby steps (and Jackson’s method) are the key, right ? Purrs

26. Marjorie Dawson
    November 18, 2018 / 12:55 pm

You are doing brilliantly! I know it’s not easy but Rosie is gorgeous and Teddy, I think, knows a good home when he sees one. When I think of the struggles we have with little old Dusty (just being old) I recognise your determination and your patience. We will win out – every time – because we want the best for our pets.

27. karly
    November 19, 2018 / 10:31 am

Introducing cats sounds like it can be challenging, but I have no doubt you’ll have a harmonious household in no time. I’ve heard about flower essences and I’m glad to hear they actually work. I wonder if they’d be just as effective for dogs. We’ve had lots of fireworks going off around our home recently with bonfire night in the UK and my Loki wasn’t herself. So it would be good to have that on hand around fireworks night and new year.

28. November 19, 2018 / 1:11 pm

Those are all great tips but I don’t think the boys would ever accept a kitty. Sigh…

29. November 19, 2018 / 6:24 pm

Good luck, I feel pretty confident you’ll get there! That takes a lot of patience, which I’m short on personally. That’s one reason we’ve decided Luke will be the only dog for a while – I’m just not up for the drama (and I believe he’s happier being the center of attention).
    We used to have this cat named Don Juan, who was just the best. We could bring any new pet into the household, cat or dog, and he would accept them immediately. I wish I could have cloned him!! 🙂

30. November 20, 2018 / 5:16 pm

Bless you for taking the necessary steps to help everyone adapt to the newbie.

31. November 21, 2018 / 7:03 am

Pawesome tips and we has our paws crossed efuryone is giving hugs and high fives by Christmas!!

xoxo,
    Matilda & Matt

November 25, 2018 / 10:03 pm

I have heard that it’s easier to introduce cats and dogs than cats to cats. This is one reason the breeder brought Brulee to me earlier than normal. She was concerned Truffle had become so attached to me that she wouldn’t handle having another cat in the home as well if we waited. I hope everyone is getting along soon.

33. Marjorie Dawson
    November 25, 2018 / 11:26 pm

PS I love the pictures of Rosie. She is so gorgeous!!!

34. November 26, 2018 / 6:07 pm

WOW you are so pawsome and I admire you so much. It will take time. I remember when a friend of mine introduced a second cat to the pack. They didn’t see that second cat for a week – and they all got along with time. Good luck and way to go.

35. November 30, 2018 / 12:15 pm

I hope Rosie comes around sooner than later. It seems like you are well on your way to helping them live peacefully together. I might need to get some of those flower essences for my dog Sophie. My daughter has a new puppy and Sophie who is normally easy going /indifferent seems to hate the puppy. The last time the puppy was here we had to keep them separated. She’s coming back for Christmas, so I need to figure out something soon.