Sunday is National Dog Day, a day to celebrate ALL dogs, young and old, small and large, short and longhaired, mixed and pure breed. As dog lovers we all want to help dogs lead happier, healthier, and safer lives – both our dogs as well as dogs at risk or in need of assistance. But it is easy to get overwhelmed and not know where to start or how to help. Here are 25 simple ways to help dogs in your community today!
25 Ways To Celebrate National Dog Day By Helping Dogs
1. Adopt a senior or adult dog from a shelter or breed rescue.
2. Volunteer to walk a dog for an elderly or homebound neighbor.
3. Host a dog-friendly summer cookout and ask guests to bring a donation for a shelter or rescue.
4. Buy or collect pet food and deliver it to your local food kitchen for homeless pet owners.
5. Foster a dog from an open admission shelter – you might actually save a life!
6. Participate in dog transport from overcrowded facilities to shelters and rescues with more space.
7. Volunteer to take photographs of adoptable dogs and share widely.
8. Set up a pet food pantry in your church, synagogue, school, or office.
9. Teach your children and their friends how to interact safely with dogs.
10. Deliver pet food to seniors and others who are unable to get out regularly.
11. Use cruelty free cleaning products, personal care, and cosmetics that do not test on animals.
12. Provide hospice care for a sick or elderly shelter dog.
13. Share your dog’s rescue story on social media to inspire others to adopt a dog.
14. Support businesses and brands that are cruelty-free, earth friendly, and supportive of animal welfare.
15. Read lost pet signs and help lost dogs find their way home.
16. Deliver food, collars, and blankets to homeless pet owners in your community.
17. Organize a neighborhood garage sale and donate the profits to your local rescue or shelter.
18. Keep an extra leash, collar, and some food in your trunk in case you find a stray or lost dog.
19. Sign up for a pet therapy program (assuming your dog is a good fit)
20. If you see something, say something. Always report cruelty, abuse, and neglect to the appropriate authorities.
21. Sign up for monthly donations or weekly volunteer sessions with your local shelter.
22. Never leave your dog unattended in a car, outside a store or anywhere else that might put them at risk. If you see other dogs in danger, get help.
23. Support small, locally owned pet stores that do not sell animals.
24. Make an emergency plan for you and your pets. Keep extra food, meds, leashes, vaccine records, first-aid kit, etc. on hand in case of emergency.
25. Support crowd-funding efforts for specific dogs in need OR talk to your vet about setting up a fund to help cover veterinary costs for economically challenged pet owners.
Celebrate National Dog Day With Your Dog – Bonus Tips!
1.Check out dog-friendly bars and restaurants. Don’t forget to share your fries.
2. Take your dog on a picnic, hike, boat ride, camping trip, or another fun adventure. Take lots of photos and create a keepsake book or shadow box documenting your special day.
3. Bake homemade dog treats, or if you stink at baking like me, visit your local dog bakery.
4. Plan a couch potato night –order take out and watch dog-themed movies curled up together on the couch.
5. Take your dog to work (if allowed) or call in sick and spend good old-fashioned quality time with your best friend.
Have other suggestions of ways to help dogs and/or celebrate National Dog Day (and everyday) with your dog? Please share in the comments!
Thinking of adopting a dog? Check out our post about why you should run, not walk, to your local shelter and adopt a dog today!