Love Can Be Review and Giveaway

No Sew, No Stress DIY Holiday Fleece For Pets

I was excited (and a little surprised) when Rover.com asked me to participate in their 12 Days of DIY Pet Gifts. Maybe this would be the year I would finally make us matching holiday pajamas.

But then reality set in and I wasn’t sure we could pull off that much cuteness or cheerfulness (because bunnies don’t like pajamas). Oh, and there’s also the thing about me not knowing how to sew like AT ALL.

So, I put on my DIY thinking cap (only I don’t have a DIY thinking cap because I’m not really a DIY person unless duct-taping broken stuff together counts as DIY). But I am no quitter so I searched high and low for an achievable DIY project for non-DIY pet parents

No Sew, No Stress DIY Holiday Fleece blanket For Pets

And I found one – the no sew, no stress, no fuss holiday fleece blanket for pets! Not only is it super simple to make, it is super simple to make in different sizes for multiple pets with multiple shapes. In the photo above, you will see the dog, bunny, and mouse-sized blankets (but don’t quit now because there’s a whole lot cuteness at the end of this post).

Making A No Sew, No Stress Holiday Fleece Blanket For Pets

Step One: Visit your local fabric store and select your fleece.

You will need two different patterns. We pretend-measured (as in, estimated) that we would need two yards of each for dog, cat, bunny and mouse-sized blankets. Be sure to select a color or pattern that will show ALL the fur (or not, depending on your design aesthetic).

How to make an easy DIY holiday fleece blanket for pets

Step Two: Stretch out your fabric and cut two identical pieces.

Obviously, if you are making multiple blankets for multiple pets you will need to plan ahead and cut several sets. Make sure the right side of the fabric is facing up and out. Also, try not to get scratched by a bossy cat who doesn’t like sharing.

How to make a no stress DIY holiday fleece blanket for pets

Step Three: Cut out corners using an appropriately-sized square.

A five inch square worked well for the dog and cat beds, but bunny and mouse blankets are smaller so give it your best guess. I am challenged when it comes to using scissors (cutting is hard) so this is where I brought in my husband kicking and screaming who is actually quite crafty and very good at following directions.

Helpful hint: The addition of a Santa gnome makes things even more festive.

Instructions for making an adorable no sew DIY holiday fleece blanket for pets

Step Four: Cut the fringe.

Each strip should be about the width of a finger and the same length as the cut-out square corners (give or take, doesn’t have to be perfect). Cut all the way around both pieces of fabric. The designated cutter should be careful not to trim the beard of the Santa gnome or poke the bossy cat. Scissors are sharp.

Special note for mice blankets – make sure the fringe is long enough to make the knots (see next step).

Easy DIY Holiday Fleece blanket for pets

Step Five: Tie the knots.

Line your fabric up and begin tying the knots – one strip from the bottom fabric and one from the top. Double knots (I am told) are best so that they don’t come loose in the wash. The smaller the blanket the trickier this gets – do your best and don’t stress. Your pets don’t care if it is not perfect.

That’s it, you are finished! No Sew DIY Holiday fleece blanket for pets are super simple, super fast, super adorable! And now for the grand reveal of fluffy fleece and furry cuteness!

Instructions for making a cute and easy no sew DIY holiday fleece blanket for pets

I made this.

Instructions for making an super cute no sew DIY holiday fleece blanket for pets

I like my blanket, but Santa gnomes are creepy.

How to make a no stress DIY holiday fleece blanket for pets and bunnies

I like to eat in bed and watch reality TV.

How to make a No Sew DIY Holiday Fleece Blanket For pets and mice

fa la la la la la la la (I won the mouse lottery)

Final Thoughts (and True Story): And when you are happily tying knots while waiting for your daughter’s holiday guitar recital to begin and another mother asks what you are working on and you reply proudly, “I’m making a holiday blanket for my mouse that I’m going to share on my pet blog.” Don’t worry if she looks at you strangely and moves two seats down. She clearly doesn’t have the holiday spirit and you don’t need that kind of negativity in your life anyway.

Special Holiday Note: These DIY holiday fleece blankets for pets are so easy that you could actually make a bunch and take them to your local shelter to comfort dogs and cats waiting for homes. And if you are looking for more ways to help animals, please check out 31 Ways To Celebrate The Holidays By Helping Animals.

Instructions on how to make a no sew holiday fleece blanket for dogs, cats, bunnies and mice

December 19, 2017 / 9:20 am

Hari omI L:-)oVE this!!! Why restrict them to pets, am thinking… and am also thinking thet the same 'pattern' could be used on thrift shop materials for donating to shelters, both pet and human! YAM xx

December 19, 2017 / 9:41 am

that's a supercute idea… and no sewing machine is included…pheew :o)) we will look for a gnome to make such a blanket… can we use a rudolph (noseless) too?

3. Molly the AireGirl
    December 19, 2017 / 10:42 am

How festive and so pretty! I love it!

December 19, 2017 / 12:01 pm

My mom likes to sew and doesn't have the patience for making these blankets, but we have a niece who loves to make them for us which works out great!

5. Marg
    December 19, 2017 / 1:05 pm

Oh Wow, something our Mom might be able to handle making. It does look easy and all the animals seem to like it. Rosie, you are a hoot. The whole post made us laugh. Loved it when you told that woman that your were making a blanket for a mouse. Glad you didn't get dragged off to the nutty house. Have a great day.

December 19, 2017 / 4:23 pm

BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO!! WTG Kristin!!Hugs Madi and momPS your models are precious too

7. Marv Marvelous
    December 19, 2017 / 4:52 pm

These are such great blankets! When I lived in Calgary, every year in November about 30 of us would get together and make 50 of these for a local wonem's shelter for the kids.They are so much fun!And I LOVE the mouse sized one! What a unique gift!Love Barb

December 19, 2017 / 6:17 pm

You sure do have a knack at making our Mom LOL. She has actually made many of those fleece blankies. Our human sister has a nonprofit organization KindCraft that is geared to helping children help others. Her organization has actually made hundreds and hundreds of those blankets for our local children's hospitals, homeless shelters, and the like. You want to see something that will make you smile – a gymnasium packed with kids, fleece, and scissors, all working together to make blankets for others. We are going to tell our human sister to think about doing this for a local animal shelter too.Woos – Lightning, Misty, and Timber

9. FiveSibesMom
    December 19, 2017 / 7:02 pm

You had me at "No sew, no stress!" I have seen directions for these and stored it away to attempt sometime. Yours looks so warm, festive, and cuddly, that I just may have to give a try this winter! Love the pics!!! And I especially love the idea of making some and sharing with a shelter! Sharing this over on my FiveSibes Facebook page for others to read! Happy Howlidays!

10. Sheltie Times
    December 19, 2017 / 7:23 pm

Great ideas. Our Aunt and Grandma helped us acquire sports blankies in every sport dog dad watches. Mom says they were made from the left overs from Dog Dad's binkies, but we think they are so awesome.

December 19, 2017 / 7:39 pm

That is so cool and y'all look wonderful…and so happy!

December 19, 2017 / 8:19 pm

Those are wonderful blankets ! The mouse sized blanket is so cute ! Purrs

December 19, 2017 / 9:12 pm

So easy – I could probably do it! Very cozy, too!

December 19, 2017 / 9:32 pm

Oh my mousie! The mouse blanket and the rabbit blanket are adorable! And Rosie helped … right? For my 30th birthday, I got one of these blankets with an adorable kitty-related print. Pretty much the best present ever! Though I learned an important lesson for if I ever make one for myself … always add about a foot of fabric to the adult size … because those slits take a foot off the length of the blanket. It's not a HUGE deal … but if I don't wear socks while covered in the blanket … it's not quite long enough and my feet get cold 🙂 So take the height you want to cover … and add at least a foot!

15. Eastside Cats
    December 19, 2017 / 10:17 pm

Aha! Another X-Files fan, I see! "I made this!"Rosie is adorable, me LURVS housepanthers!Creative DIY idea!

December 19, 2017 / 11:52 pm

I've made several of these blankets. They are so easy…and make great gifts.

17. Millie and Walter
    December 20, 2017 / 12:17 am

We love how Rosie helped you put the blankets together. Your captions for each animal had us chuckling too.

December 20, 2017 / 4:10 am

Love how you made one for each!!! hugsHazel & Mabel

19. Ruby
    December 20, 2017 / 4:34 am

BOL! Loooved the end….who needs peeps that don't understand anipals??! No one! I would loves it if Ma made me one of these!Kisses,Ruby ♥aka: the OTHER Ruby…heheheheee

20. The Flynnigans
    December 20, 2017 / 12:15 pm

Your cat in the middle of fabric kills me. Lol. A fixture you could say. Genius no sew project. And super easy! 🙂 Well some.Merry Christmas Miss Ruby and to you and yours. xoxoxox

21. Michelle & The Paw Pack
    December 20, 2017 / 2:46 pm

Very cool. I used to make blankets like this quite often for my small pets. Fleece blankets are a staple in our house, haha. As of late I haven't been getting too creative with it, I just pick out fleece with cute designs and give it to my pets without doing anything special to it. I love that pet's nails don't get caught in the fabric and that fleece is so easy to wash.

22. Groovy Goldendoodles
    December 20, 2017 / 5:45 pm

Looks super easy and cozy

23. Marie Symeou
    December 20, 2017 / 6:41 pm

Great idea!Purrs xxAthena and Marie

24. Dash Kitten Crew
    December 20, 2017 / 7:12 pm

For the people who don't think they can craft, this is perfect. Well done!I can see me making these for our cats when winter comes!

December 20, 2017 / 7:20 pm

I love this idea especially as I am lousy at DIY so am going to for definite try this, thanks for the idea

26. Debi @ RescueDogs101
    December 20, 2017 / 7:53 pm

I love the idea of making the blankets for our dogs! My daughter's class is actually making these in school right now, they plan on donating them to homeless shelters in our area. We just may have to make our own for our dogs 🙂

27. Carleenp
    December 20, 2017 / 9:58 pm

We have a blanket like this for Ty that the Fur Angle Blessing Blanketeers made for him. It is his favorite!!!

28. Jackie Bouchard
    December 20, 2017 / 10:43 pm

OMD, so adorable! Especially love the mouse one – and you are right about the mom that moved two seats down. Nobody needs that kinda negativity. :)Excellent idea to make them to donate to shelters!

29. AmyShojai
    December 20, 2017 / 11:54 pm

This was so much fun to read! And yes, the person with no imagination at the recital clearly is missing out, LOL! Thanks for the terrific idea, I may have to make one for our Karma-Kat so he stops stealing my lap robe. Ahem.

30. Jill - CharityPaws
    December 21, 2017 / 12:01 am

You totally had me at no sew — a domestic goddess I am not! This is such a cute idea…….even my non hand capable hands may be able to do this one!

31. Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows)
    December 21, 2017 / 12:02 am

Mudpie got one of these in her Secret Paws package last Christmas and she lives on it! One day I aim to make one myself!

32. Foley Monster, Pocket and River Song
    December 21, 2017 / 1:35 am

You did a fantastic job making these. Thank you for the tutorial. I don't know if Mom has the patience to do this but we are going to pester her about it.

33. Allison
    December 21, 2017 / 2:00 am

I've pinned this post to share with my cat friends group. I've also emailed the link to a friend who wants to make stuff for animals. Thanks for the inspiring article!

December 21, 2017 / 2:12 am

I am also DIY-challenged but I "think" I could handle this. It turned out cute!

December 21, 2017 / 2:20 am

I have one of these blankets that a cousin made for me. It's so comfortable and warm. Maybe I'll get the urge and make one for the girls.

36. Irene
    December 21, 2017 / 3:25 am

Okay, you've spoiled the blog hop for me…in the best way. I'm going to have to read more posts tomorrow night because I'm laughing so hard right now. I was chuckling through your realization that sewing matching pjs would probably not work, and I smiled at your color choice to show all the fur. I'm not sure whose presence I found funnier: the kicking and screaming husband, the bossy cat, the Santa gnome. But then there was the entrance of guitar recital mom. And I lost it! As someone who is also craft-challenged, I feel your pain. This post is hilarious. You made my night.

37. pilch92 15andmeowing
    December 21, 2017 / 3:54 am

Great idea. You all look great.

38. Marty the Manx
    December 21, 2017 / 3:58 am

Beautiful Rosie you are the purrfect assistant to keep the peeps in line while working on "your" blankets. I have made several of these for my nieces and nephews but didn't think of making them for my shelter. I think I will get to working on that after the holiday. Thanks for the great idea!!LuvsMarty's MomP.S. Thanks for all the Rosie, she is sooooo adorable 🙂

39. Beth
    December 21, 2017 / 4:53 am

How cute! My daughter and her friends made a bunch of these for the shelter a few years ago. It was lots of fun for the girls and I think the dogs and cats appreciated their new soft blankets.

40. Lori Hilliard
    December 21, 2017 / 5:24 am

Finally, a handmade gift I can make and donate to local shelters and rescues that I can do without taking classes or starting over several times because I'm all thumbs!

41. Heather Wallace
    December 21, 2017 / 12:28 pm

Festive, easy, and oh so comfortable! These are great pet blankets or for children that want a touch/ plat mat. This may be something that even I could accomplish!

December 21, 2017 / 1:03 pm

Great idea for a gift. THe simplest things are the best. Gail is all too familiar with the 'move two seats down' reaction to any mention that her dog has a blog…

43. Dolly theDoxie
    December 21, 2017 / 3:53 pm

Very impressive! I have one of those blankets my aunt sent it to me. Just so you know, I sew, well I did, all my clothes, drapes, craft projects. I no longer have the time or patience for any of it. So be really proud of what you did! Sandra and Dolly

44. Jana Rade
    December 21, 2017 / 4:04 pm

This looks adorable. And what a great way to upcycle.

45. Sandy Kubillus
    December 21, 2017 / 5:05 pm

I LOVE this idea – especially the fleece blanket for your bunny and mouse! I'll have to try this. Thanks for finding this quick and easy DIY gift idea.

46. Amelia Johnson
    December 21, 2017 / 5:45 pm

Your sense of humor kept me laughing. This really is easier than I thought…maybe I will try it…if I can find the scissors and keep Gusto away from the project!

47. Paroma
    December 21, 2017 / 7:21 pm

Love this DIY idea for non-DIY parents. The fleece looks so comfy and festive! I am super clumsy with DIY things but might try this idea out for Babu!

48. The Adventures of The Bell Fur Zoo
    December 22, 2017 / 6:47 pm

Mama can totes relate to being scratched by the bossy cat who doesn't like to share from when her made brudder's Halloween costume. I was all up in her bizness ;)MOL you had Mama LOL at dat last part. People always look at her like she has two heads when her says she are working on something fur da pet blog!xoxo,Matilda (& Matt)

December 23, 2017 / 12:33 am

Oh my goodness, love these and think even I might be able to do it. 🙂 Great job and photos!

December 23, 2017 / 12:42 am

You had me at "no sew". LOL

December 24, 2017 / 2:24 pm

Fantastic DIY project! These photos are awesome, I love that you made one for each of the pets! Making a bunch of these for a local shelter is a great idea, it is Winter after all.Love & biscuits, Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them