October is Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog month and in celebration of all things canine, here are 15 reasons to adopt a dog today. This post is universally approved by rescue dogs everywhere (for real).
Top 15 Reasons To Adopt A Shelter Dog Today
1. Dogs make great team players. Even when there is no team.
2. Dogs never judge. Especially on those days when you stay in your pajamas, watch bad TV, and eat chips all day (as long as you share).
3. Dogs are always happy to see you. Whether you are gone a month or five minutes, your dog will be there waiting, tail wagging, going bonkers when you return.
4. Dogs are cheaper than therapists. Dogs naturally ease depression, reduce anxiety, and improve self-esteem – even when they struggle with these issues themselves.
5. Dogs are peacemakers. Almost always willing to break bread or share the couch with their natural rivals (cats).
6. Dogs offer an alternative energy source. Naturally brightening and warming your day without batteries, electricity or re-charging.
7. Dogs are like Buddhists. Dogs live in the moment and find beauty in all things (even smelly dead things).
8. Dogs are natural healers. No need for medical school; dogs reduce stress, improve heart health, strengthen immunity and some studies suggest, prevent allergies.
9. Dogs are complicated, but in a good way. Afraid of small things, but brave when it matters most.
10. Dogs are overachievers. And when left alone, they may go searching for DIY projects on Pinterest like “5 Ways To Tip Over The Garbage Can Without Making A Mess”
11. Dogs always root for the underdog. Dogs make wonderful, supportive companions for those with physical or emotional challenges as well as seniors and children with learning issues.
12. Dogs believe in happily ever after. They will never leave you. Never EVER.
13. Dogs think you are a rock star. No matter how the rest of the world sees you in your dog’s eyes you are the coolest person ever.
14. Dogs always do the right thing. Aside from the occasional distraction (see Pinterest warning above), dogs represent our very best selves. They are never cruel, dishonest or judgmental. Always grateful, kind, loyal, brave, and genuinely want to make things better.
15. Dogs never give up. There are thousands of dogs refusing to give up in shelters around the country RIGHT NOW. Don’t let them down. Please consider adopting one (or more if you are super special) rescue dogs today.
Bonus Point: Do rescue dogs have issues? Sometimes, but so what. You probably do, too (we all do).