October is Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog month! Visit your local shelter to meet adoptable dogs of every size, age, and personality. If you are looking for a particular breed, you can also visit sites like petfinder.com to find breed specific rescue groups.
I am a big believer that we are led to the right dog (or cat) at the right time. Ruby entered my life a month after Pip passed away – she saved me as much as I saved her. Your perfect fit, one-in-a-lifetime dog is out there waiting for you right now. Go find each other!
Disclaimer: This post is a celebration of dogs and dog adoption. Dogs are individuals and this post is just for fun and not intended as a serious study of dog behavior.
15 Reasons To Adopt A Shelter Dog Today
1. Dogs make great team players. Even when there is no team.
2. Dogs never judge. Especially on those days when you stay in your pajamas, watch bad TV, and eat chips all day (as long as you share).
3. Dogs are always happy to see you. Whether you are gone a month or five minutes, your dog will be there waiting, tail wagging, going bonkers when you home.
4. Dogs are cheaper than therapists. Dogs naturally ease depression, reduce anxiety, and improve self-esteem – even when they struggle with these issues themselves.
5. Dogs are peacemakers. Almost always willing to break bread or share the couch with their natural rivals (cats).
6. Dogs offer an alternative energy source. Naturally brightening and warming your day without batteries, electricity or re-charging.
7. Dogs are like Buddhists. Dogs find beauty in all things (even smelly dead things).
8. Dogs are natural healers. No need for medical school; dogs reduce stress, improve heart health, strengthen immunity and some studies suggest, prevent allergies.
9. Dogs are complicated, but in a good way. Afraid of small things, but brave when it matters most.
10. Dogs are overachievers. And when left alone, they may go searching for DIY projects on Pinterest like “5 Ways To Tip Over The Garbage Can Without Making A Mess”
11. Dogs always root for the underdog. Dogs make wonderful, supportive companions for those with physical or emotional challenges as well as seniors and children with learning issues.
12. Dogs believe in happily ever after endings. How about you?
13. Dogs think you are a rock star. No matter how the rest of the world sees you in your dog’s eyes you are the coolest person ever.
14. Dogs always do the right thing. Aside from the occasional distraction (see Pinterest warning above), dogs represent our very best selves. They are never cruel, dishonest or judgmental. Always grateful, kind, loyal, brave, and genuinely want to make things better.
15. Dogs never give up. There are thousands of dogs refusing to give up in shelters around the country RIGHT NOW. Don’t let them down. Please consider adopting one (or more if you are super special) rescue dogs today.
Celebrate Adopt-Shelter-Dog Month By Helping Dogs
If you are not in position to adopt a dog, why not foster, donate, volunteer or help other dogs in your community. You can participate in dog transport; walk dogs for seniors or other homebound seniors in your neighborhood; collect pet food and deliver it to your local food kitchen for homeless pet owners; host a dog-friendly party and ask guests to bring a donation for a shelter or rescue. So many dogs in need, so many ways to help!
P.S.: Don’t forget to sign up for our email list. We have lots of fun stuff and giveaways coming up and you don’t want to miss out!