10 Reasons To Adopt A Shelter Cat

In celebration of Adopt-A-Shelter-Cat Month and all things feline, here are 10 (fun) reasons to adopt a shelter cat today. This post is approved by Rosie.

Top 10 reasons to adopt a shelter cat

Top 10 Reasons To Adopt A Shelter Cat

1. Cats are clean, neat, and organized. And that’s why they require such dedicated staff.

2. Cats care about the planet and the environment. Cats believe in water and energy conservation and do their part by sleeping 15 hours a day and taking short baths.

3. Cats are free spirits who march to the beat of their own drums. And if they feel like beating that drum at 2:00 am deal with it people.

10 reasons to adopt a shelter cat during adopt-a-shelter-cat month

4. Cats are like potato chips, you can’t just have one. Well, you could, but why?

5. Cats make great couch companions. Cats won’t judge you if you stay in your pajamas and watch Netflix all day. Actually, they might judge you, but not in a mean way.

6. Cats improve sleep and cure insomnia. The sound of a cat is relaxing and the warmth of their cuddles in like an electric blanket on a cold night. Just be sure not to disturb their sleep or all bets are off.

Top reasons to foster or adopt a shelter cat

7. Cats are not quitters. Cats pursue what they want when they want it. And if that means occasionally bopping you in the head or tipping over a glass of water to get your attention, so be it. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

8. Cats make great yoga instructors. Cats are naturally graceful and limber and understand the benefits of a good stretch. Note to humans: cat yoga require years of experience and training. Do not try at home unless under strict feline supervision.

Why you should adopt a shelter cat today

9. Cats are great listeners. Cats have mastered the art of listening or at least the art of making you think they are listening. What did you say again?

10. Cats make great mentors and role models. Cats are confident, driven, and not afraid to say no. They have much to teach us about self-preservation and putting our own needs first – after their own needs are met, of course.

Please choose adoption! Visit your local shelter and adopt a shelter cat today.

Rosie explains why you should choose adoption and adopt a cat today

June 16, 2017 / 6:28 am

Love this and we don't currently have a cat. MOL 😍

June 16, 2017 / 9:00 am

cats are wonderful soulmates in any way ;o)

3. ~Kim at Golden Pines~
    June 16, 2017 / 9:49 am

You know, cats are great at keeping secrets, especially about themselves, but you have just told most of them, and I don't think they'll mind people knowing! People really need to know, and really should adopt one from a shelter to find out for themselves!

June 16, 2017 / 10:34 am

Hari OMthose are some mighty good reasons! YAM xx

June 16, 2017 / 10:50 am

Every cat Mom has had since she was a little girl at 7 has been a shelter or rescue. She is all for shelter cat adoption.

June 16, 2017 / 2:21 pm

Delightful post! These are all excellent reasons to adopt shelter cats! All my kitties were strays who just showed up on the doorstep, LOL! I guess they chose to adopt ME.Love & Biscuits,Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

June 16, 2017 / 2:31 pm

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Rosie thank you for approving such a wonderful post. All 100%true. #3 and 7 evidently made mom has 'you ain't kidding'!! Hugs madi your bfff

8. Two French Bulldogs
    June 16, 2017 / 2:37 pm

Our friends are about to adopt a shelter kitty nowLily & Edward

June 16, 2017 / 7:12 pm

Each one of those was great and it had to be hard to get the list down to 10!

June 16, 2017 / 7:17 pm

ROSIE!!! So good to see you! This is a wonderful post and all great reasons to adopt a shelter cat! My cats beat their drum closer to 4am, not 2. So I'm grateful that I get those two extra hours of sleep.

June 16, 2017 / 7:20 pm

rosie….wavez two ewe gorgeouz….hope thiz day findz da boss doin soooper grate; oh course we givez thiz post 984 pawz up.. times de number oh catz whohoz ever been in trout towne….letz see thatz……mor N we can count !! ☺☺♥♥

12. Sonja Lishchynski
    June 16, 2017 / 7:21 pm

I use to have 4 cats. Sadly as I grew older I developed terrible allergies. So I am no longer able. My ex has them now – although two have since passed. Great list (some of it true of dogs too)

June 16, 2017 / 7:53 pm

It's true … I find myself admiring Bear and wishing I had the round things to live my life so fully and without apology.

June 16, 2017 / 8:08 pm

All great reasons for a cat. If we ever get one, we'll get one from a rescue.

June 16, 2017 / 8:53 pm

The bf is allergic so probably no cats for us. Shelter cats are a great idea though. Unlike dogs, people's cat needs usually aren't very specific!

16. Foley Monster, Pocket and River Song
    June 17, 2017 / 12:36 am

Those are some fantastic reasons

17. McGuffy Ann Morris
    June 17, 2017 / 12:49 am

Thank you for this.

June 17, 2017 / 1:46 am

Those are great reasons! We approve too, Rosie!

19. Hailey and Zaphod and their Lady
    June 17, 2017 / 11:14 am

If/when it is time for another cat he/she will be some sort of rescue. Any animals that come into our life will be rescue (unless we need some sort of service dog of course!)

20. Heather Wallace
    June 17, 2017 / 3:37 pm

I am in complete agreement! I especially adore the yoga poses, which I envy and their ability to be unapologetically themselves.

21. Jana Rade
    June 17, 2017 / 11:51 pm

Adopting is a wonderful way of getting a new family member, whether it's a dog or a cat. And the relationships that can be built are priceless.

22. Amy Hempe
    June 18, 2017 / 1:50 pm

We are dog people, but I love this. I meet so many people through the Pet Pantry whose cats are their lifeline.

June 18, 2017 / 1:54 pm

What a wonderful post ! Those are all great reasons ! Purrs

June 18, 2017 / 1:54 pm

What a wonderful post ! Those are all great reasons ! Purrs

25. Raising Your Pets Naturally with Tonya Wilhelm
    June 18, 2017 / 5:06 pm

How sweet. We adopted a shelter cat and a stray cat. Love both of them to bits! So happy to give these two a great home.

26. Debbie Bailey
    June 18, 2017 / 9:28 pm

This is too cute! These are definitely some purrrfect reasons to adopt a shelter cat. I love the "desperate times call for desperate measures." Sounds legit to me. LOL

June 18, 2017 / 11:42 pm

We only have one cat right now, and it doesn't seem right! We are hoping to adopt some barn cats from our local shelter. Even though they will live outdoors, they will still be a part of the family to us, and Sam's peace won't have to be disturbed!

28. Beth
    June 18, 2017 / 11:58 pm

Although I'm more of a dog person, these are great reasons to adopt a cat! (I love the cat I have and if I get another one, it will be from a shelter or another stray that finds me.)

29. Beth
    June 19, 2017 / 12:00 am

These are all great reasons to adopt a cat! If I ever get another cat (mine is 16 or so) I will adopt or take in another stray that finds me.

June 19, 2017 / 2:22 am

It's so true! Adopting a shelter cat (or two) is a sure way to improve one's life! 🙂

June 19, 2017 / 3:31 am

I rescued both my cats when living in Israel (I had 3) and for me whether dog or cat its only rescue – will never ever pay a breeder for a pet

32. Kolchak Puggle
    June 19, 2017 / 4:06 am

Felix really wishes I would cave in and get him a kitty because he would love one so, but I already got him a puppy that he barely plays with anymore. I do miss the sweet purry noise of total contentment our cats used to make and that look of total contempt they'd throw when I got clingy.

June 19, 2017 / 4:21 am

I didn't become a cat lover until I was in my 20s. I grew up with dogs and my parents didn't like cats. They've become more accepting since being around Truffle and Brulee as kittens. I would add that Cats are great therapists!

June 19, 2017 / 4:09 pm

Purrfect reasons, Rosie! We hope lots of people go adopt after reading your post. Smooches!

35. Marty the Manx
    June 22, 2017 / 1:44 am

Hehehe this is great 🙂 So glad Rosie approves 🙂 Of course the boys are shelter kitties and I would love to have more if I wasn't at my max!

36. IconicPup
    June 23, 2017 / 11:11 am

My cat, Dusty, has developed the routine of sleeping all day and tearing down the house as soon as we go to bed. You'd swear he is doing that on purpose. Cats are funny animals with so much personalities. As both a cat and dog owner, they are two unique but lovable pet companions.

37. The Menagerie Mom
    June 26, 2017 / 11:43 am

These are 10 purrfect reasons to have a kitty (or two, or three…) in your life! I've been trying out #8, giving yoga a shot. My kitties, though, they don't seem all that impressed.