Respect Rabbits – Choose Chocolate This Easter

Each year, thousands of rabbits, chicks, and ducklings are purchased in the weeks leading up to Easter with many (80% by some estimates) abandoned a few weeks later. The lucky ones end up in shelters while many others die after being “set free” outside.

I support responsible rabbit adoption and urge everyone to make informed, well-planned decisions when adding any new pet to the family. Rabbits are not toys or holiday decorations – they are a living, feeling, long-term commitment. If you are unable or unwilling to provide a lifetime of care, please choose a chocolate bunny instead.

Want to learn more about rabbits, check out our bunny basics series here.

April 14, 2017 / 6:17 am

I hope that people will be smart this year… it's sad to see all the bunnies in the small ads after easter… they are living individuals and no decoration for 3 days…Happy Good Friday ;o)

April 14, 2017 / 9:00 am

Hari OmAn excellent and timely reminder!!! YAM xx

3. Millie and Walter
    April 14, 2017 / 1:21 pm

This is an important message. We think a candy rabbit is much better to give than a real one.

April 14, 2017 / 6:06 pm

We totally agree and we hope everyone chooses wisely.

April 14, 2017 / 6:54 pm

That's so important to repeat and repeat that important information ! Purrs

April 14, 2017 / 7:26 pm

A very important message Kristin, and perfect timing! A pet is a lifelong commitment, and many recipients of live pets as gifts aren't prepared for that.Love & Biscuits,Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

April 14, 2017 / 7:28 pm

We wish people would THINK!

April 14, 2017 / 8:22 pm

Chocolate rabbits are much easier to maintain for sure. There's never that many rabbits in our shelter though so I wonder if it's a big problem here.

April 14, 2017 / 9:46 pm

Very impawtent post – peeps need to think about these commitmentshugsMr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

10. Hailey and Zaphod and their Lady
    April 14, 2017 / 9:52 pm

Important reminder!

April 14, 2017 / 11:03 pm

A very important message to share. As it is rabbits are the most abused animal in the UK from what I understand, so to buy one simply because it's Easter only to discard them when the novelty wears off in a few days is so sad, not to mention irresponsible. So glad you're helping to inform and educate.

April 14, 2017 / 11:12 pm

We couldn't agree more! And we shared on Facebook to spread the word.

13. AmyShojai
    April 14, 2017 / 11:12 pm

I had no idea rabbits lived that long! Such lovely creatures. We had one when I was a kid, that belonged to my younger brother. And no, that story did not end well…. *sad*

14. debbie carter
    April 14, 2017 / 11:32 pm

Ugh, I could not agree more. Those poor bunnies. It's like people who get puppies for Christmas because they're cute and little, not "realizing" that they grow up and become dogs. Pets of any kind are a commitment and should only be adopted/bought after great consideration and with the intention of loving and caring for them for their entire lives!

15. Sully
    April 14, 2017 / 11:56 pm

Happy Easter Aroo to you,Sully

16. Jana Rade
    April 15, 2017 / 12:09 am

Nobody should get any animal for any reason other than wanting to share their life with that animal. Be it a dog, a cat, a bunny … There is only ONE legitimate reason to bring an animal into a home.

17. McGuffy Ann Morris
    April 15, 2017 / 5:05 pm

Absolutely! Thank you. Hugs and happy Easter!

18. Carleenp
    April 15, 2017 / 6:58 pm

I really hate what Easter does to rabbits, ducks, and chicks. So many people get them with no clue and then they end up abandoned or ill cared for. 🙁

April 15, 2017 / 7:23 pm

Oh my cats lo and behold when mom was rinsing out the coffee pot this morning she she looked out the kitchen window and there was the cutest wild bunny. She grabbed her iPad but it had hippity hopped away. All Pets are not for right now…they are FUREVERHugs madi your bfff

20. Kamira G
    April 16, 2017 / 1:04 am

It is upsetting to know people can purchase an animal for convenience and then "discard" them when they are done. I'll never understand that mentality. Great post to spread awareness.

21. Maxwell Faraday Richman
    April 16, 2017 / 1:07 am

Wonderful and very important message!

April 16, 2017 / 12:38 pm

We could not agree more, and we hope people are listening!

23. Sweet William The Scot
    April 16, 2017 / 12:54 pm

Remember Easter is the only time of the year when it's perfectly safe to put all your eggs in one basket and a chocolate bunny also! Good advice hope people listen. Sweet William The Scot

April 16, 2017 / 3:28 pm

Surely it is not so hard for humans to Choose Chocolate?

April 16, 2017 / 8:45 pm

Great reminder and I have been posting constantly on my FB page about it

26. Karen H.
    April 16, 2017 / 9:19 pm

I agree, respect rabbits, they aren't toys! Thanks for the reminder, unfortunately too many people make a very bad choice! My thought is any pet that comes into your home should be considered a lifetime commitment

27. Raising Your Pets Naturally with Tonya Wilhelm
    April 16, 2017 / 10:28 pm

I feel so sorry for rabbits and chicks this weekend. Hopefully, not too many will end up in a shelter or worse because of Easter. Thanks for this informative post.

28. M Dawson
    April 16, 2017 / 10:30 pm

I ca't understand the need to grab a rabbit at Easter. I mean REALLY Don't people realise it will need years of feeding, vet care and companionship?

April 17, 2017 / 2:16 am

That is such an important message, dear pals. Rabbits, chicks and ducklings are all animals that need love and care. They are not Easter presents!

30. Marty the Manx
    April 17, 2017 / 2:27 am

So agree! Rabbits, chicks and ducks are NOT good Easter gifts! Hope you all had a wonderful Easter weekend at your house Ruby with Chocolate bunnies for the Peeps and extra cuddles for all of you!

31. Beth Patterson
    April 17, 2017 / 4:09 am

I just read a sad statistic that I hope is wrong, 95% of Easter bunnies (the ones given as gifts on Easter) don't make it through the first year. My sister-in-law has taken in many rabbits over the years that people bought without researching rabbits. A couple were Easter gifts.My son's rabbit is 10 years old and still seems like she is going strong.

April 17, 2017 / 6:20 am

The numbers are staggering, I had no idea. Hopefully people will smarten up!

33. Kitty Cat Chronicles
    April 17, 2017 / 2:42 pm

It's sad how some people view animals as disposable toys. I hope that as awareness like this is spread, that the occurrence of stuff like this dwindles. Thanks for all that you do to support and inform!

34. Bryn Nowell
    April 17, 2017 / 5:59 pm

I hope this post has helped people to make educated decisions this Easter season. Bunnies can be great pets, but they take a lot of work and require dedication and care. It always breaks my heart to see how many are abandoned after an impulse decision for a holiday. Thanks for sharing this!

April 17, 2017 / 9:14 pm

Ugh, that's so sad. I agree, choose chocolate! I would almost choose chocolate over anything. Anything.

36. Robin
    April 18, 2017 / 1:25 am

Thank you for getting these numbers out there! Rabbits make great pets, but you have to be ready for the responsibilities that come with caring for a living creature. It is so sad that so many animals are mistreated every year because someone thought they would make a great novelty gift.

37. Nellie Kowalik
    April 18, 2017 / 1:35 pm

I have really enjoyed Pip and Ruby through the years! I KNOW Nellie and Pip are having the time of their lives. Your words of support at this time of the loss of Nellie has meant a great deal to me. I really thank you for your kindness and offer you my most sincere gratitude and love.Love BarbThanks so Much

April 18, 2017 / 4:45 pm

This saddens me to no end. I've shared my guilt over how my family cared for our bunny (NOT an Easter present … we got him as a forever pet) because we had so little knowledge of how to. That was in the days of pet stores selling animals and we just bought the introduction rabbit kit the store sold – later finding out that it was entirely inappropriate.

April 18, 2017 / 6:36 pm

I remember getting baby chicks for Easter when I was a child. I honestly don't think people realize these chicks will grow into adults. Luckily, my parents had friends who had a farm and they went to live there. I'd much rather have the chocolate now.

40. Edie ThePug
    April 19, 2017 / 1:16 pm

Rabbits, kittens, puppies, any animal is a commitment and bringing one into your home should be done with the understanding that they are not disposable and come with responsibility!