Trick or Treat Giveaway Hop 2018 – Pretend Obstacle Course

Oh My Gourd

When Your Socially Awkward Dog Becomes A Cool …

Does Your Rescue Dog Have Issues?

Rescue dogs sometimes arrive with baggage (some more than others). I think their quirks and issues give them character, make them even more lovable and life more interesting. But some have suggested that Ruby has me well-trained so perhaps I’m not the best judge. Take the quiz below and see how your rescue dog (and you) measure up.

Does Your Rescue Dog Have Issues (Or Do You)?

1. You have one winter coat (which may or may not fit) and your dog has five coats.

True: But my dog has way more than five.

False: Neither of us have coats. We live in a warm weather climate.

2. You feel guilty when going to work, the store or anywhere dogs aren’t allowed.

True: My dog gets depressed when left alone.

False: My dog can’t wait for me to leave. Pretty sure she is throwing wild parties while I’m away.

Extra credit: I have separation anxiety and my dog plays along.

3. Your rescue dog has new dishes, fancy luggage, and sweaters for each day of the week. Your dishes are chipped, your luggage held together with duct tape, and your sweaters faded and furry.

True: I work hard so my dog can have nice things.

False: My dog isn’t into material possessions.

4. You stumble through the door after a grueling day. Your rescue dog greets you, well-rested after a fun day napping on the couch. Although you are on the verge of being HANGRY, you feed your rescue dog first.

True: Because dogs get HANGRY, too.

False: My dog waits patiently while I scarf down some chips.

5. Your dog has her own Christmas stocking, filled with toys she will reject or destroy.

True: Destroying toys is a good confidence booster.

False: We don’t celebrate Christmas, but my dog still has a boat load of toys.

6. You excuse bad behavior (because she has had a hard life) like occasional accidents, ripping up the couch, or knocking over the garbage can and eating a bunch of crap that will soon make her sick.

True: Note analysis below.

Accidents = she’s frightened and thinks she’s been abandoned.

Couch destruction = she’s purging her mind of painful memories when she had no couch.

Garbage can = she’s having a flashback to when she was a stray and dumpsters were her friends.

False: My dog doesn’t do any of these things (wink, wink)

7. Your rescue dog’s diet is human grade, grain-free, organic, all natural, fortified with fairy dust, etc. Your diet consists of chips, salsa, beer and a frozen dinner or two.

True: My dog eats better than I do.

False: My dog likes chips and sometimes gets her head stuck in the bag.

Extra Credit: My dog has a personal chef.

8. Your dog’s gear (supplements, toys, treats, leashes, collars, beds, coats, sweaters, costumes, grooming supplies) are taking over the house.

True: We need to buy a bigger house for all her stuff.

False: My dog is a minimalist and only keeps things she can eat or sleep on.

9. You find your rescue dog sound asleep, taking up most of the bed. Instead of moving her, you curl up in an uncomfortable ball (and wake up the following morning with a backache).

True: My dog has insomnia and I don’t like to wake her.

False: I roll that big lug over like a log.

Extra credit: I quietly creep out of the room and go sleep on the couch.

10. You make every effort to travel with your dog. However, if she must stay behind, you leave hundreds of pages of detailed instructions for your double background checked pet sitter. Leave the lights on (she’s afraid of the dark), fluff her pillows (she has neck issues), leave a radio on (so she stays calm). You also install one of those new video pet cameras. When she ignores your call (because she’s a dog and doesn’t understand two-way cameras), you assume she’s too depressed to move. You immediately call the nearest friend or relative and demand they do a wellness check. Aunt Trudy finds your dog sleeping soundly on the couch, but it’s too late because you are already on your way home. Sigh …

True: Better safe than sorry.

False: I’m not that crazy.

If you answered TRUE to five or more of these questions, you and your dog have some issues. But the fun kind of issues – as in you love and accept each other no matter what.

Does your rescue dog have issues or dog you - the ultimate quiz

February 3, 2017 / 7:34 am

Erm … Bear's a cat and all … but with the exception of coats and other clothing items, I think we need an intervention!!!! Though Bear HAS pranced in front of the mirror in his tabby suit singing, "I feel pretty …"

February 3, 2017 / 8:00 am

awww… me and the mama have issues.. a lot… hahahahaha

3. Sketching with Dogs
    February 3, 2017 / 8:08 am

I can't imagine a rescue dog would have problems. It is traumatic enough for them just to be in a shelter.Lynne x

4. Sketching with Dogs
    February 3, 2017 / 8:09 am

I meant I can – stupid auto corrector on iPad, pffttt! 😄

February 3, 2017 / 1:32 pm

Mom's first dog came from the Humane Society and had been there for a few months. She was the sweetest thing ever but had panic whenever Mom left home. She destroyed many things until she bought her a kennel, and then with a lot of patience she learned to be home alone. She would get nervous when suitcases came out, but she did alright.

6. Two French Bulldogs
    February 3, 2017 / 4:42 pm

Sometimes when mom leaves, I feel like I may have to go to a new home again. She always tells me this is my forever and a day homeLily & Edward

7. tubby3pug
    February 3, 2017 / 5:12 pm

well curretly my dogs are all from responsible, really breeders, but we have all the issues you describe as do my 4 rescue cats (ie I have the issues) I mean they all have xmas stockings and last year i made a tuna birthday cake for a cat that didnt even want to try it

February 3, 2017 / 5:40 pm

Really fun but I think I'm in need of an intervention!! BOL

9. Kerri Irwin
    February 3, 2017 / 6:05 pm

Issues happen with rescue dogs or not I feel every dog has there own little quirks just like humans. That's what makes then so unique.

February 3, 2017 / 6:29 pm

Our rescue dog only came with a little baggage. But going on 14 years of living with us, I think we gave him more baggage than he came with! 🙂

February 3, 2017 / 6:48 pm

ruby…for sum reeezon…uz CATZ…..epic failed thiz test 😉 ☺☺☺heerz two a golden shiner kinda week oh end ♥♥♥

February 3, 2017 / 6:50 pm

OMC, we have a problem… Except for clothing, we need an intervention ! Purrs

February 3, 2017 / 7:29 pm

That was a darn fun quiz, great choices in answers!

February 3, 2017 / 8:31 pm

We aren't technically rescue dogs, although we think we got rescued to come to a great home. But this quiz was very fun, thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend.Woos – Lightning and Misty

15. Sherri Telenko
    February 3, 2017 / 10:20 pm

This is hilarious: here's our results. I love to shop so both my dog and I have ridiculous gear but his coats and sweaters are more expensive than mine. I take him travelling and to other places and don't always concern myself if he's 'allowed' (big fan of easier to get forgiveness than permission); no Christmas in my house, my rescue dog is perfect; he eats expensive quality food and sleeps horizontally on the bed instead of vertically – we're still working on that last one.

16. Fashion Beyond Forty
    February 3, 2017 / 11:31 pm

I LOVE the way you wrote this! Many times it is US who have the issues! My daughter was telling me just last night about her friend who has a pup – and has to take the pup EVERYWHERE with her – even when the pup NEEDS to be home and in a clam environment! My daughter is working on educating her friend – hopefully the friend will listen!

February 3, 2017 / 11:36 pm

Hmmmmmm, we have a rescue dog (Roxy) but she was rescued as a puppy and lived with a Foster family……so there aren't as much baggage. So she doesn't get all those guilt feelings…alas…

18. Dory and the Mama
    February 4, 2017 / 12:38 am

We definitely need an intervention here!!

19. rottrover
    February 4, 2017 / 1:23 am

YES!!!!-Otto, whose sister is a MESS!

20. M. K. Clinton
    February 4, 2017 / 1:31 am

Hilarious and yes, Bentley & Pierre have us very well trained. ☺

February 4, 2017 / 2:20 am

MOL! You could substitute cat for dog in many instances and the mom would have to answer TRUE!

February 4, 2017 / 4:26 am

love this post and I blogged about Layla and her baggage but would not change it for anything and yes she lives a better life than I do, HA. According to the Jewish Religion one should feed ones animals before yourself 🙂

23. KB Bear
    February 4, 2017 / 4:56 am

With my first real rescue dog in Shyla, I can truly relate to this quiz. I passed 🙂 I agree – the challenges that Shyla and I face have made our bond even stronger. Sure, there are days when I wish she'd just stop being afraid of things, and I could stop reminding people not to look at her (that scares her)… but I wouldn't trade our relationship for anything. I can sense that you feel the same way about Ruby.

24. Golden Daily Scoop
    February 4, 2017 / 1:24 pm

Wha a cute post. After reading this, I think I'm in need of an intervention! lol

February 4, 2017 / 8:47 pm

LOL!! I'm laughing at this quiz, I see so much of my crazy self in these questions. Phoebe came with some fear issues, but I clearly have over compensated for it!Love & Biscuits,Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

26. Pawesome Cats
    February 4, 2017 / 9:33 pm

Great quiz. Whilst we have cats not dogs, I can so resonate with no. 9. I'm often 'self-forced' to sleep in weird positions because I have a cat in my arms, another behind my knees and one by my feet.

27. The Adventures of The Bell Fur Zoo
    February 4, 2017 / 10:50 pm

I am pawsitive Mama needs an intervention but I are not telling her cause I like to be spoiled ;)xoxo,Matt (& Matilda)

28. Marty the Manx
    February 5, 2017 / 4:56 am

Oh dear, I think I am in BIG trouble 🙂

29. Raising Your Pets Naturally with Tonya Wilhelm
    February 5, 2017 / 10:36 pm

Super cute! Yes! Dexter eats better than me and now has bad manners because he has a serious disease. But, we have a great time together, so I'm a-OK with that. 😉

30. Kitty Cat Chronicles
    February 6, 2017 / 12:14 am

Too cute. I think we all have issues and need an intervention over here! MOL! I just went out and bought a Valentine's Day outfit for Sophie…. lolol

31. Bobbi and Gracie
    February 6, 2017 / 12:38 am

Ruby, I love the smile you wear 🙂

February 6, 2017 / 3:25 am

That was so cute. Nothing wrong with THOSE kind of issues. 🙂

33. sprinkles
    February 6, 2017 / 4:18 am

I'm pretty sure my boys and I all have issues, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It makes us who we are. :)Thank you for your kind message. It was really appreciated.

February 6, 2017 / 4:26 am

I think I definitely have some issues with the girls, but they are good issues to have.

35. Beth Patterson
    February 6, 2017 / 4:33 am

What a fun quiz. I really liked the extra credit bonuses too.

36. Katie A.
    February 6, 2017 / 5:00 am

Lol! Cute quiz! I think we might need an intervention 🙂

37. Robin Mudge
    February 6, 2017 / 6:59 am

LOL! This quiz is really cute. My kitties are definitely spoiled! I could answer yes to the feline variations of many of those questions. My cats don't have as many coats as I do, but their coats (the ones that came naturally) are most certainly the most fashionable. I spend way more time thinking about the quality of food and other items I purchase for my cats than I do about the things I buy for myself. I guess I'm kitty crazy, but I love it!-Purrs from your friends at http://www.PlayfulKitty.net

February 6, 2017 / 2:13 pm

Oh how fun! Even though we're kitties, 5, 6, 8 and 9 are true for us! This is a great post and a great idea. We can see you're taking advice from BlogPaws.

February 6, 2017 / 4:52 pm

Let's just say, the children who come to visit tell me that Mr. N is spoiled. And then they play with his toys.

February 6, 2017 / 9:03 pm

BRILLIANT ABSOLUTELY A BRILLIANT POST.OF COURSE I am a cat and I was not a resuce per se but many of these things apply to me. One in particular hits home here, last up makes the bed. Mom is a stickler about making up beds; however, if a certain cat is on the bed sleeping like an angel the bed is left unmade all day.Dad says this is unfair.Hugs madi your bfffWelcome back

41. Jeanne Pursell
    February 7, 2017 / 11:03 am

Oh boy. We had quite a time with LadyBug when we first rescued her…but for the most part…she couldn't be a better pup!!

42. Nellie Kowalik
    February 7, 2017 / 4:24 pm

Excellent Quiz! But my hairy slobbery sister was not a rescue…all of cats was though so Mommy did it about glorious mes and she says she needs an intervention…mes thinks NOT! mes loves that she caters to my every whim… Now Mommy, don't forgets to buys mes some freeze dried salmon on your way home from work tonight…KissesYour Nellie Bellie

43. Janet Keefe